Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I love Dove

Controversial as the company/brand/beauty company may be or as their campaign may be, Dove's new video is great and more and more I find myself buying their products to support the cause they advocate. Does this further support the beauty industry? Yes. Is Dove's focus still on beauty and beauty products? Yes. I fully support the argument that women in their commercials are still not fat enough, still traditionally beautiful and still portrayed as nice, clean, good women, but their giant leap in the right direction is a bigger step than anyone else I've seen take. What's more, they have a voice in the media so perhaps others will listen and take initiative as their voices (and collectively, ours as well) continue to resonate. 

Press play and then send it to everyone you know:

Check out their campaign and site too.

2 comments:

taralynmary said...

Holy fuck!
What a crazy amazing ad. I'm actually tearing up.
How much can anybody restonate with this message?

Jean Kilbourne writes about the same message in Deadly Persuasion. She also mentions how she pre-records any television her daughter may watch, and fast-forwards through all commercials.

Definitely forwarding this on.
Has anybody actually seen this ad on TV??

feministottawa said...

Thanks for waking me back up to this (and Jane Doe - definitely will be writing about her soon)! I didn't get that far in D.P. What a great idea (if you have the time) on Jean's part. She's brilliant. Which reminds me, of course, that I need to pick up that book again and get myself into it.

As for the ad, I've never seen it on TV. I heard about it from the blog on www.relationalaggression.net where the author argues for one of the consequences of poor self-esteem being to bully another person, which in a girls case would usually take the form of relational (or what I call social) aggression (essentially the same thing). That's I think why she posted the video. Literature in the area has actually discounted that argument (that girls who bully have low self-esteem), and in fact, we know that mot girls who bully actually have great self-esteem and great social skills. Who knew? What our parents told us was wrong (not that anybody knew better at the time). But, her blog introduced me to the video, so I'm glad she posted it, regardless of why.